Thursday, April 4, 2013

Don't Worry...Be Happy!


A friend said to me the other day it's my right to be happy !

She didn't mean in a self-indulgent way, where I've just bagged a bargain of a lifetime but just to be happy in my day to day life due to the simple things.


It made me think is it my right? Am I happy? And what does it take for me to be happy?


I've never really thought about “ happy” being a basic human need in the  league of, food , Water and air..


I started to think about what makes me happy , is it the predictable, sunshine, holidays, chocolate?


That such a basic emotion somehow can seem so elusive, it certainly can’t be manufactured and it appears in different forms to all of us, it can come from a child’s smile, the smell of Nanna’s homemade cake, a simple bunch of flowers or that “I get you” look from a friend or lover.

I think I'm basically a happy person, I run a business whose sole purpose is to bring pleasure.




 
Happy seems to be based for me, at least, on external forces, is life going well? Career? relationships?etc .if it's a yes, then I’m happy.

Whilst I do smile a lot, I’m not sure my friends would describe me as a happy person per se, where I go around showing my pearly whites at all times, this description sounds a bit light weight and fluffy for me. That’s not to say I’m a manic depressant or a bore to be with. I am perhaps a more serious soul , with a quirky sense of humour, with a genuine desire to please, to make others feel comfortable, accepted and at ease. Goodness now I sound like a saint!

 
The moral of the story is to recognize happiness , celebrate it, avoid feelings of guilt and hang on to it for as long as you can !

Be Happy!


What makes you happy???




No comments:

Post a Comment